Tuesday 26 June 2012

We need to talk about 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'

Im talking about the movie right now, I have the book sitting untouched on my desk just waiting to disturb my thoughts. It was only recently that I was looking around Xtra-Vision (yes I still rent out DVDs) and that out of sheer I-can't-find-anything-ness picked up We Need to Talk About Kevin. 
Well I'm happy I did as it is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year. I can actually genuinely call it "gripping" as usually I have a poor attention span due to a mild psychosis and with this movie I was glued to the screen.

For those of you who don't know, the movie is based on the 2003 novel by Lionel Shriver about a school massacre caused by one of its students. It revolves around the relationship between the boy who commits the atrocity and his mother, following their story throughout his upbringing. It follows the destitute life his mother now has to endure in the aftermath of what her son did, along with flashbacks throughout the movie of their times together in the past. They always had a very strained relationship and it's very intriguing to see how even a childs' behaviour from the youngest of years can show personality problems which will manifest in other ways in later life.

Now I'm no movie critic, I can't really make some sort of brilliantly co-ordinated review on character development or expository dialogue. However, Tilda Swinton (who played the mother) acted impeccably well and had a very convincing on-screen partnership with Ezra Miller (who played teenage Kevin). As all of us know about real-life events mirroring this, such as Columbine, so it makes you sympathise with the mother. She will always punish herself trying to think, why didn't I bond with my child? Is it all my fault? How did I not do more?

Im a person who is transfixed by the human mind and the actions of those who do wrong in the world. What Kevin did was evil. What the Columbine kids did was evil. All these evil people are supposed to be sociopaths and/or psychopaths. So where does the line get drawn between just being 'evil' and having a severe mental disorder which you cannot control?

Makes you wonder...

(image via dvdactive )


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...